Monday Motivation: Use Your Words




When researching how to brand myself as an author, one piece of advice I continually run across is to steer clear of "controversial" topics. Conventional wisdom says in order to avoid upsetting or offending potential readers, publishers, editors, and other authors, I should refrain from discussing them or maintain a neutral position.

I understand why this is the recommended route for an author (especially someone like me who's pre-published)  to take. The internet is forever and we've all seen celebrities damage their brands and reputations in 140 character or less on Twitter or witnessed a friend's "hot button" Facebook post turn into knock down, drag out slug fests in the comment section. Stating your position on important social, political, or religious issues online invites not only discussion and debate, but also trolling, personal attacks, and people being deeply disappointed that who you are doesn't match up with who they want you to be.

For an author this can be devastating. In some readers their disappointment or disagreement can turn into your books landing on their "not-even-if-my-life-depended-on-it" shelf on Goodreads, a barrage of one star reviews on various sites, or calls for boycotts or bans. Given the potential for disaster it's no surprise that avoidance and neutrality are a popular 1-2 combination.  It's good advice and I totally understand why a lot of authors swear follow it.

I just can't be one of them.

I'm a woman. I'm a mother. I'm Black. I'm queer. I'm a feminist. I'm sex positive. I'm so many things and all of who I am influences what I write, how I write it, and why I'm moved to tell the stories I do. My brand isn't just about the work I produce, it's also about the values and beliefs I hold.

As an author my words are everything. They're how I bring my characters to life, entertain and engage my audience, build relationships, and participate in Romancelandia's community. My words (and actions but that's a whole other post) speak my truth. If branding is about managing reader expectations so they know who I am, believe in the value of what I'm offering, and understand what they can expect from me and my books, then I can't do anything other than be my authentic self.

And y'all, my authentic self is someone who can't co-sign oppression or injustice by pretending I don't see, comprehend, or hear what's going on around me. My authentic self is someone who is compelled to add my voice to the chorus of those demanding racial justice. My authentic self is someone who stands up for the civil, legal, social, and human rights of oppressed people. My authentic self is someone who doesn't let misogyny or misogynoir go unchallenged. My authentic self is someone who doesn't go along to get along, even if it means having uncomfortable conversations with friends and family or acknowledging when I'm the one who's been loud and wrong.

I realize I'm taking a risk and I'm okay with that. I was told recently (while discussing a completely different subject) not to be afraid of alienating the wrong reader. If using my voice and my platform to speak up for the things I believe in and speak out against the things I find intolerable drives some potential readers and Romancelandia residents away from me, then hopefully it will draw others to me.

Words have power. They can enlighten or enrage. They can bring people together or push them apart. They can build people up or break them down. They can be the first, last, or only line of defense against inequality or injustice. My words are my sword and shield. I will wield them mindfully, purposefully, and with intention but I will wield them.

I wish you the ability, bravery, and safety to do the same.

XOXO,
Dylan

I'd love to talk to you on Twitter, you can follow me here.
We should totally be Facebook friends!  You can friend me here.
Hey, do you have a Tumblr?  Cause I have one and you can follow me right here.
Wait, you've got a Pinterest? Me too!  You should follow me and my boards here.
Do you like to read? Cause I love to read. Let's be Goodreads buddies. Friend me here.
Are you living large on Instagram? I'm not but still you can follow me here.
Are you on Bloglovin? Follow my blog with Bloglovin






0 comments