Monday Motivation: Plans And Updates


Celebrate good times, come on!  It's done, guys.  After spending the last couple of weeks tweaking everything until it was just so, my blog makeover is finally done. I found a new template, changed the color scheme, used my limited photo editing skills and created a header, completely overhauled the book page and made a shiny new author bio/faq page that has some random fun facts about your girl. Check it out and please let me know if you think all my hard work payed off. 

Why the makeover?  Well, in keeping with my Year of Yes, I'm increasing my social media presence. I've already made some progress on Twitter, Tumblr and Facebook, and I'm slowly figuring out Pinterest (we won't talk about Instagram. Seriously, let's just...not talk about IG).

That brings us to this blog. I started this blogging in July and I have a whopping five posts.  That is beyond trifling and I'm committed to getting it together.  The first step in that plan is setting up a regular posting schedule. You guys can look forward to three posts a week from me on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays with the following format:

  • Monday Motivation: Monday posts will be my weekly "Motivator" where I lay out my plans for the week, writing goals, talk about any progress I've made or roadblocks I've run into with my work, recap my weekend and hook you guys up with whatever motivational words, music, movies, books or self-care tips are feeding my soul at the moment.
  • Wednesday Wisdom: Wednesday will be my mid-week review where I check in, give a progress update and talk about whatever's caught my attention at the moment and invite you all to chime in and discuss.  
  • Friday Fangasm: Friday is for fandom!  And by fandom I mean it's going to be where I hysterically break down over calmly discuss my reaction to the latest episodes of Scandal and How To Get Away With Murder (or whatever else I'm watching), point you in the direction of content creators (authors, bloggers, directors, actors, ect) that you should check out and show a little love and support to, Squee over books I've read, talk about whatever fandom related shenanigans are occurring in the fandoms relevant to my interests, and post either a snippet of one of WIPs, or a new fanfic/ficlet and give the week's accountability check. 
Sound good?  Great, let's begin.  *rubs hands together*  It's Monday so here's what's happening this week:

Life Comes At You Fast

Since I'm no longer working I've found that I am REALLY bad at time management when left to my own devices.  Basically, unscheduled me is up all day and half the night without accomplishing anything of worth.  I have all this stuff I need to do and somehow never seem to get any of it done despite having pretty much the entire day to myself.  The problem is I have the best of intentions, but I get distracted, tell myself I'll do it later and then look up and the whole day is gone.  

To combat the ~ooh shiny, castle~ thing I've got going on, I filled out a calendar and made myself a schedule.  Everything from mundane household chores to writing now has a dedicated time. I know to some of you that sounds restrictive and horrible but I feel so much less pressure now knowing needs to be done and when to do it.  My anxiety level has gone down from a 20 to a manageable 8. Structure is, apparently, a thing that I need. Who knew?

Thankfully I learned that lesson just in time because this week will be busy, busy, busy.  My kids both have to go to the doctor AND the dentist, and I have a therapy on top of that.  If that weren't enough, my little one, who really isn't so little anymore, will officially be a teenager on Thursday.  How Sway?  I don't know where the time went. One minute her foot fit in the palm of my hand and the next I go to hug her and she's taller than me (What part of the game is that? Who gave her permission to outgrow me?) In lieu of a party, since she doesn't want one, I'm taking her and her sister for a day of pampering. Nails done, toes done, facials, a little shopping and then out to eat. I just...my baby is growing up.  It's almost enough to make me want another one. Don't side-eye me like that, I said almost.  

Writing goals:  I'm working on An Inconvenient Arrangement.  I fail miserably at word count goals (I've tried. It's...it's a no good, very bad, terrible time for all involved) but chapter goals seem to work out well for me so I'm aiming at writing three chapters this week and having the first draft done by the end of March. (ZOMG I just set a deadline!) Now that you know what I have on tap, tell me about you. I'm listening and I'm interested. 

Weekend Wrap-Up:  I did nothing and it was glorious.  I ate ALL THE THINGS, slept in late, watched Food Network, posted a little on social media and generally was a useless lump.  I repeat, it was GLORIOUS.  What did you guys get up to this weekend?  Spill the tea, I'm thirsty.

Soul Food: One of the things I'm giving greater focus in 2016 is self-care.  I'm forever telling my friends and family to take care of themselves and treat themselves gently but I suck at taking my own advice.  I have a habit of putting myself last on my list. That position must change.  This year, I'm making time for me. Caring for my mind, body and spirit will be priority, rather than an afterthought. If I'm exhausted and empty, I'm not my best self.  I deserve to be my best self, not just so that I can be the best mother, partner, daughter, friend, neighbor and citizen to the people in my life, but because I deserve to be my best self.  That's a profound realization when it hits you, ya'll.  Realizing you deserve to be your best because you deserve it. You, no one else, you.  Think on that. Let it roll around in your brain for minute.  Get comfortable with it.  Now, go forth and put that word into your deeds and your day.

One of the things I'm doing in pursuit of my best self is starting morning meditation.  I found this YouTube video that's a guided morning meditation.  It's only ten minutes and I feel like it'll help me slow down, take a moment and start my day with intention and clarity.  I'm new to meditation so it'll be an interesting experience.  How many of you guys meditate?  What works (or doesn't) for you?

And there we have it people. That's this week's Monday Motivation.  What's yours? What are your professional goals for this week?  How are you putting yourself first?  Let me know in the comments!


XOXO,
Dylan

P.S.

I'd love to talk to you on Twitter, you can follow me here.
We should totally be Facebook friends!  You can friend me here.
Hey, do you have a Tumblr?  Cause I have one and you can follow me right here
Wait, you've got a Pinterest? Me too!  You should follow me and my boards here.
Do you like to read? Cause I love to read. Let's be Goodreads buddies. Friend me here.
















0 comments